Ronnie Cruwys has drawn some wonderful current day views of our local shops (see her website for details, also cards using these illustrations are available locally). These celebrate the special character of these shops, some of which have carried out the same type of business for over 100 years, such as the butcher’s and the fruit shop (Fruitique). There has been a fish shop since 1911, and the chemist (formerly Sherwin’s) dates from 1901.
Many were private houses, for example Pextons appears to have been private till around 1921, when it was listed as Watson’s cycle repairers. It became Pextons (cycles and radio) in 1935, then changed to hardware in 1953.
There were two Chinese laundries in the 1930s (2a Cycle Heaven and 8 Rainbow House).
We can see the development of multiple chains owned by large companies, such as Meadow Dairy (Age UK shop), and Eastman’s Butchers, which later became Dewhurst (Lal Quila). Interestingly in 1970s this shop was a second-hand dealer listed curiously as Whatmuff Junkit, Goodgrott and Bloggs.
Some traders in the city centre appear to have started locally, for example Ward’s the Florist (about to be a Thai restaurant). Cox of Northampton (see the Shambles) had a shop here between 1937 and 1951 (now OBs Diner).
Blog posts about Bishy Road shops:
New traders celebrate historic traditions
It’s Back to the Future Day for Bishy Road
Pickled tongues and York Cream sherry: looking back at our food shopping
Joseph Sherwood: the birth of a shop in Bishopthorpe Road
The rise and fall of shopping at multiple groceries
Decorating the street
The corner of Scarcroft Road: From butchers and drapers to hairdressers and grocers
A narrow escape
A shoemaking family
Our Memory Wall about Bishy Road shops
Was there life before Sainsbury’s?
Butcher at no 47 Bishopthorpe Road
Fruitique in 1975
Johnson & Elson high class fish and meat
Grocery off-licence on corner of Ebor St
The Post Office in 1998
The Post Office in 1984
City Boot Repairing now Stanley & Ramona
Maynews is now the Good Food Shop. The fish and chip shop has traded since 1911, under various owners. Similarly the chemists since 1901.
The off-licence in 1984 is now Costcutter. The fruit shop has been a greengrocers since 1911. (Photo: Rob Stay)
Bishopthorpe Road around turn of century. Several of the shops now on the left were then private houses, with small gardens at front.
Bishopgate Antiques in 1984, having been in business since 1975. It was previously a corn and seed merchants (Photo:Rob Stay)
A gift shop which replaced Leeming & Salisbury in the 1990s for a short while.
Co-op on corner of Nunnery Lane/Bishopthorpe Road.
Leeming & Salisbury on Bishopthorpe Road (now Trinacria)
Bishopthorpe Road shops before WW1. The corner of Darnborough St is now the antique shop. Lund’s Drug store is now Cycle Heaven.